Wednesday, January 30, 2013


Back to School

In America, we are taught to always walk on the right side of the hallway or street, always look left, right left before crossing the street, walk to the right side of the car to get in…. now, throw all that out the window when you’re 20 years old! Almost impossible…and that’s Andrea in Africa!  I swear I’m going to get run over by a person just from walking on the right side of the sidewalk!  I’ve also decided I can never jaywalk here again because I always look the wrong way before crossing.  I wish I could watch myself on video walking around UWC’s campus Monday.  It could’ve been a comedy.

The first day at UWC was overwhelming, tiring, and all around confusing.  Most people in my house weren’t registered for classes, couldn’t find classes to suit their requirements, and didn’t know how to register themselves.  After day 1, I think it was safe to say we all pretty much wanted to quit school.  That night we went to our first UWC rugby game, though.  That was a much needed, high energy, exciting atmosphere that brought smiles to everyone’s faces as we cheered on our new school’s team.  (and won!!!)

Tuesday, a group of 16 of us that didn’t have classes went to Camps Bay.  This was a beautiful beach with a view of the ocean, Table Mountain, and Lion’s Head.  Previously we had seen this beach from atop the mountains and it was awesome to be able to see the other side! (not to mention the relaxing on a beach part instead of hiking a mountain was pretty great…)

Today was another day at UWC.  This morning most of us were dreading it, but luckily many of us had the same Ethics course this morning.  We all really enjoyed that course so most of us came home in great moods!  I also had my African History course today.  When the professor arrived ten minutes late, I asked the girl next to me if this was a usual occurrence…after laughing for a minute, she replied “yes, we call it African time.”  I think I could get used to this relaxed way of living!  AND I even remembered to walk on the left side of the sidewalk sometimes!!

I found out my service site will be Amy Biel.  I am trying to wait patiently for more information about which school Amy Biel Foundation will pair me with, but I’m getting very anxious!  From what I understand, I will be at a school all day and then help facilitate an after school program for many of the students.  Hopefully this will give me a chance to connect with the children and hear more about the townships they live in. 

I hope everyone is doing well at home!  We just got internet in “Kimberly 2” which is the house I’m staying in so I will have more opportunity to communicate with the world.  Can’t wait to hear about the adventures back in the states!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment